Duo Legal Avocats was founded in 1985 by a lawyer qualified as notary with the aim of providing the best possible advice to a clientele composed exclusively of private individuals, in all their needs in family law and estate planning (legal, fiscal and judicial).
In 2018, Duo Legal Avocats became a partner of Duo Legal - Notaries and Co. in a company where both Lawyers and Notaries practice (a “multi-professional practice company”).
This innovation is the outcome of the pioneer positioning chosen since 1985 by lawyers who graduated as notaries, under the names Hohl Avocats (1985 - 2014) then Bassano Avocats (2014 - 2018).
Since 1985, Duo Legal has developed exclusively in this field of expertise: this "niche" strategy allows us to respond efficiently and reactively to the needs of individuals for the management of their private affairs, in a national or international context:
• family and children's law and taxation, estate planning and inheritance,
• international mobility of individuals (nationality, immigration, residence permits)
• law and taxation of residential real estate,
• partnerships, trusts, foundations and “fiducies”,
• private international law,
• national and international tax law.
Duo Legal brings together, around five partners (three lawyers and two notaries), some thirty people who devote themselves with dedication to family, private wealth and inheritance law and taxation.
Several members of Duo Legal work daily in German, English or Arabic for a large international and cross-border clientele.
The practice of French law within Duo Legal also extends outside France, from permanent offices in Geneva (since 2012) and Tunis (since 2019).
Finally, Duo Legal relies on a very important network of correspondents throughout the world.
Mediation is a procedure in which the parties meet and discuss their disputes outside of court, identify the issues with the assistance of a trained impartial third person who assists them in reaching a settlement.
Duo Legal regularly intervenes as a mediator in family disputes and inheritance law matters, where mediation is particularly useful to settle existing disputes and anticipate future ones.
When acting as a mediator, usually at the request of other law professionals, Duo Legal cannot act as counsel for the parties.
"Fiducie" is a French law concept, defined as a contract by which a company (the Settlor) transfers assets or rights to another person (the Trustee) who holds these separate from his own property for the benefit or one or more Beneficiaries.
It is therefore an asset protection technique.
Within families, "Fiducie" allows to maintain family property and assets when confronting certain incidents:
• Protected adult,
• Managing young persons’ wealth,
• Asset protection against future creditors,
Since 2014, Duo Legal practices as fiduciary (Article 2015 § 2 of the French Civil Code, for missions of security (“fiducie-sûreté”) or asset management (“fiducie-gestion”).
To transfer movable or immovable assets in a fiducie, the Settlor must be advised by a third qualified lawyer, notary or academic. This third party cannot be a member of Duo Legal and prepares the fiducie contract with Duo Legal.
The assets in fiducie are unseizable. A specific accountancy and an additional risk insurance are also required.
Duo Legal operates under the rules of professional conduct applicable to French avocats, including full independence and the prohibition of conflicts of interest or fee-sharing.
Duo Legal regularly publishes legal and tax information letters, as well as studies and review (economical, legal and tax press).
The firm frequently hosts specialized conferences, such as:
• Etats-Généraux of Family law (fraud in family law, equity in family law, preparatory divoce agreements…),
• Strategy of matrimonial regimes and fiduciary techniques (Omnidroit),
• The practice of alternating residence after 7 years of application, fixation of the compensatory beneficit and appeal for review, what remains of the fault in the new divorce,… (Campus),
• Prenuptial agreements, Estate Planning (Union Internationale des Avocats: Istanbul, Miami, Dresden, Macau, Florence, etc.),
• Settlement of international successions & European certificate (Trier – ERA),
• Convergence of rights in matrimonial law (Heidelberg University),
And also: calculation of compensatory allowance, family tax audit, etc.